market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Kansas Market

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "cjmaness AT juno.com" <cjmaness AT juno.com>
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Kansas Market
  • Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2006 16:41:01 GMT

It sounds like y'all have a fantastic market! Do you accept new
vendors? How far is it from Stillwater to Wichita I'm wondering??? We
like our market, but it needs to grow and some people don't want it
to. They don't want it to change. We also know that as we keep
growing we are going to have to find other outlets for our produce.
Especially when the blueberries kick in. That's probably a good 5
years from now though. It's just me, and my husband part time.The
other "big" markets around here all have waiting lists 3 years long.
And, the way it is now, it takes both of us to run our booth in
Stillwater. I don't know how, short of hiring help, that we could do
another market. We have wanted to keep this a "just us" type thing,
but it's getting tough!
We started doing the flowers last year, and were amazed at the
response. So, we are increasing production this year. No one else was
selling flowers so it seemed like an easy niche to fill. Same with
blueberries. No one else really sells fruit at all. We have a few
people selling blackberries, no strawberries and a few peaches that
come from the OSU research station. All anyone has to do is watch the
people line up for the peaches to realize that some locally grown
fruit would be a big hit at market.
Thanks for the info. on your Kansas market. It really does sound nice.
Carla

  • Re: [Market-farming] Kansas Market, cjmaness AT juno.com, 11/28/2006