market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Certified scales

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "cjmaness AT juno.com" <cjmaness AT juno.com>
  • To: farmersue AT hughes.net, market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Certified scales
  • Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2006 16:27:15 GMT

I don't know what the deal is with the scales. I know that out of 32
vendors, NO ONE sells by the pound. When I worked for the research
station we had those scales certified every year. It was an all day
process. The guys would clean them up and re calibrate. We would have
to set up an appointment with them and it seemed like it took weeks
before they could get to us. That meant making sure we called in
winter so that we were ready to go by the growing season. Every time
I mention it to anyone at market they act like it's torture. So, we
don't weigh anything. We have scales here at home that we bought.
About a hundred bucks or so if I'm remembering right.
We just use those green pulp quart containers for everything we sell.
I have on occasion weighed out some things just to see, like the
green beans. Our customers ask from time to time how many pounds
something is, and so it's nice to know from that perspective.
Carla