market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] cucumbers

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "cjmaness AT juno.com" <cjmaness AT juno.com>
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] cucumbers
  • Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2006 14:42:11 GMT

Hello Wichita farmers!
We have 5 acres in veggies. Right now, we are in the process of
putting in a 1/2 acre of blueberries, and we have 1/4 acre of cut
flowers.
I agree that it would be better at least for us, to sell by the
pound. For some reason, the powers that be at our market frown on it.
Certifying the scales, and all of that has something to do with it.
So, on some things like green beans, I weigh those out before market.
I found out that if our 1 quart container is filled level, that is
one pound. If we really heap them up, then we are at a pound and a
half. We charge 2 dollars for that, so we started filling the
containers level full. We have done that with more and more things
this year, just to try and figure out how much we make per item. We
are still pretty new at this, and I really appreciate any input
anyone can/has given us. Our market is in Stillwater, Oklahoma.
Carla