market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Mulching garlic

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Allan Balliett <aballiett AT frontiernet.net>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Mulching garlic
  • Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2006 10:01:05 -0400

I did the tests over the same concerns of expensive straw you are
exhibiting. If you can handle big bales of mulch hay, you likely could
get rounds of straw cheaper than $5/50lb especially with the cheaper gas
available?

Thanks, Sean. I live in an area where there are literally ACRES of ag-tax-deferred land with rotting big hay bales on it and very little grain/straw grown. Yes, if I could find big bales of oat straw, I'd drive a few miles for it! Thanks for your insights. You know, I've really never mulched too heavily (although we do mulch deeply) but, yes, I have been afraid that I have mulched too heavily. -Allan