market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Charentais

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Allan Balliett <aballiett AT frontiernet.net>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Charentais
  • Date: Sat, 19 Aug 2006 10:56:07 -0400

These things are driving me nuts in determining ripeness!! Should the whole patch come on 'ripe' at once? I have such thick vine/leaf cover that it's all but impossible to check individual melons without destroying vines, etc. It seems the only sure way to determine 'ripe' is to wait for a mouse attack, by the, of course, it's too late.

What is the rule you successful folks follow for harvesting? I got the 'dried first leaf' thing. At that point, though, would you consider the bulk of the planting (at least by size of fruit) to be close enough to harvest?

Thanks -Allan