market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] marketing scapes

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Sean Albiston <lab AT physics.umn.edu>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] marketing scapes
  • Date: Wed, 05 Jul 2006 09:19:02 -0500

I would suggest that you band them at the base and set them out unbagged. They don't dessicate easily6 and are more visually appealing. I had a number of folks purchase bunches as table centerpieces. I band 20-25 scapes @ $2. To save time, band them as they are removed. In years past I have bagged them and they didn't sell nearly as well. It is a great celery substitute in potato salad.
sean albiston

How do you market garlic scapes? I had them at market for 2 weeks, bagged
up in 1/4 bags, and spent a lot of time explaining what they were and how
to use them. Not one person bought any. Another vendor had them, also, and
no one bought hers, either.

Lynn Wigglesworth