market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Gypsum

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: road's end farm <organic101 AT linkny.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Gypsum
  • Date: Sat, 3 Jun 2006 08:42:30 -0400

On Jun 3, 2006, at 8:32 AM, Robert Schuler wrote:

You can grind it up and use it. Its calcium sulphate. I buy it bagged in granular form and apply it at 500 pounds per acre on tomatoes peppers and eggplant as a highly soluble source of calcium to prevent blossom end rot. The sulphur content seems to help the plants nitrogen absorption... Bob.
Sunny Meadow Farm
Bridgeton, NJ.

From: DFORD8N
Date: Sat Jun 03 05:19:30 CDT 2006

I was just curious about it. I see a lot of it, damaged boards and construction scrap, going to the landfill and I just wondered if there was a better use for this "waste".

Construction scrap gypsum is mostly calcium sulphate, but may have contaminants in it that aren't in mined gypsum. The construction scrap isn't permitted for organic use. I don't know what the likely contaminants are, or whether any of them might present a problem for conventional growers.