market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Farmers' Market question

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Brigette Leach <avalonfarmshomegrown AT earthlink.net>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Farmers' Market question
  • Date: Fri, 26 May 2006 20:47:16 -0400

Lehman's Hardware has all sorts of non-electric appliances. Have they checked out such an option?
Brigette
Avalon Farms

road's end farm wrote:

On May 26, 2006, at 4:04 PM, Lynn Wigglesworth wrote:

One of the vendors for our new farmers' market just asked about plugging
in their freezer. We are a small market located in a vacant lot....we have
no access to electricity, water, bathrooms, or anything else. Do other
small markets provide electricity to vendors? Is this something I should
add to my list of things to worry about?

There are markets that have electric hookups, but the one I go to doesn't, and neither do some of the other markets in the immediate area. A few vendors bring ice chests and ice (for example, people selling cheese). Depending on what they want to bring, you might need to check health regulations as to what they can legally do for refrigeration at a no-electric market; but I don't think the market needs to have electric hookups, lots of them don't. It won't matter to most vendors.

Small markets don't usually have bathrooms, either. However, unless it's an extremely short market, you're going to have to figure out what the vendors can use (by the time you include setup and takedown, vendors at a four hour market may be onsite a good six hours.) Usually there's a store, town building, or something similar within a minute or two's fast walk that vendors can duck into that won't mind vendors using the bathroom (offer a little free produce or something if necessary). If there really isn't anything at all in the area, you might want to consider a portapotty, the type with a handwashing station.

Those who need water should be able to bring their own: a water jug or two, or a water cooler, or something of the sort. I bring drinking water and water to wash my hands if necessary, as well as to sprinkle greens with in hot weather; a plastic jug of water and one that starts the day off as ice will generally do it for me.

begin:vcard
fn:Brigette Leach
n:Leach;Brigette
org:Avalon Farms
adr:;;14302 East OP Ave;Climax;MI;49034;United States
email;internet:avalonfarmshomegrown AT eathlink.net
tel;work:269-746-4648
tel;fax:269-7464393
tel;home:269-746-4648
tel;cell:269-720-2279