market-farming - [Market-farming] Alternative pollinators

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Shelly Elliott" <shelly AT idlethyme.com>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Alternative pollinators
  • Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2006 09:51:15 -0600

I am changing things up in the high tunnel this year and grwing some specialty melons and cucumbers in addition to the heirloom toms, peppers, and eggplants. I am concerned about pollination. Greenhouse varieties will not work because I grow heirlooms. Bees will not work because I am deathly allergic. Are there any other insects that can do an effective job of pollination or am I stuck with hand pollinating (argh!). I have posed the question to Whitney Crenshaw as well.
Thanks,
Shelly Elliott
Idle Thyme Farm
www.IdleThymeFarms.com