market-farming - [Market-farming] May Sojourners' special issue on food

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Dawn M. Ripley" <ripley AT iglou.com>
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Market-farming] May Sojourners' special issue on food
  • Date: Mon, 03 Apr 2006 15:11:32 -0400

Hey, folks--

I'm not pushing this magazine's political or religious agenda (that would be off-topic, and that's beast I don't feed), but I thought some of you might this interesting:

The May Sojourners is a special issue on food, featuring these great articles:

1. Shopping for JusticeFind out how our muzak-themed grocery shopping experiences are mostly a label-designing, meat-coloring, cookie-positioning scheme to keep us occupied and ignorant about what's in our carts.

2. A Farm Grows in BrooklynFruits, vegetables, and hope are blossoming in Red Hook, a low-income neighborhood struggling with high unemployment and a booming drug trade. Read how a local farmers' market is sowing seeds for change.

3. Check Please!  What's the story behind each of the food items we buy? Surprise--it involves pollution, long-distance travel, the use of fossil fuels, and dangerous chemicals. We have thousands of food choices in America, but at what cost?

4. Grub for Body and SoulFood activists share new ideas for eating ethically. Hint: They include "grub parties"--organic food, and great music--key provisions for the food revolution.

5. Blessing the Hands That HarvestWith the help of churches, farm worker campaigns are raising awareness of exploitation in agricultural jobs.

6. Dumpster DivingTurn up your nose, but dumpster diving is one real option for living a frugal, yet abundant, life.

You can read more about Sojourners at their website, www.sojo.net.

Dawn

  • [Market-farming] May Sojourners' special issue on food, Dawn M. Ripley, 04/03/2006