market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] salad spinners

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Lynn Wigglesworth" <lynnw1366 AT hotmail.com>
  • To: <lists AT rhomestead.com>, "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] salad spinners
  • Date: Fri, 31 Mar 2006 08:53:47 -0500

I only do about 10 pounds at a time (maybe more this season), but I soak
it in a tub to remove bugs and dirt (I change the water several times if
it's really dirty), then put it in a basket with drainage, shake it around
a little, and leave it in the refrigerator for a couple hours. Don't pack
it too wet or it gets soggy and you end up with brown slime in the bottom
of the bag. It takes some trial and error to know exactly when it's ready
to bag for maximum bag life...chilling it while it drains really keeps it
fresh in my opinion.

Lynn Wigglesworth
Cowbridge Farm
Tioga County PA