market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Abandoning plastic mulch

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Allan Balliett <igg AT igg.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Abandoning plastic mulch
  • Date: Mon, 30 Jan 2006 11:47:32 -0500

I am contemplating not using any plastic mulch this year for our tomatoes,
peppers, sweet potatoes etc, as between bed maintainence and end of season
removal are a real bear on an organic farm.

is this foolish..? will the tomatoes all die from soil-borne diseases, the
peppers not do well, and the sweet potatoes not get enough heat....we are
in southcentral Pennsylvania by the way. Pretty warm here most years.

Scott

meaningless, but I'm in zone 7 in WV and do not use black plastic on any of those crops. Straw on tomatoes and peppers. We let sweet potatoes self mulch, so weeds are 'never' an issue. I do use black plastic on okra (for heat and weeds) and we tick squash on it ocassionally. Oh, I've been doing melons on big sheets of construction black plastic, which is easy to lay down and easy to pick up.

But, yes, you don't need plastic for your tomatoes BUT you've got to stop splash up from the beginning.