market-farming - [Market-farming] Flea Beetle Nematodes

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Allan Balliett <igg AT igg.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Flea Beetle Nematodes
  • Date: Sun, 29 Jan 2006 22:49:50 -0500

Someone contacted me offline about the flea beetle controlling nematodes. Here's info from SEEDS of CHANGE website:

Nematodes, Heterorhabditis indica
Each sponge contains 5 million Nemetodes. For best results use at rate of 1 million per 50 square feet. There are many species of nematodes, some are beneficial and some are pests. Heterorhabditis is a beneficial, generalist nematode which infects several pests including; cucumber, flea, scarab, and Colorado potato beetles, strawberry root weevils and black vine weevils, chafer, white grub, corn root worm, billbug and aphids. Nematodes live in the soil, are highly mobile, especially in moist soil, and kill many soil dwelling organisms by infecting them with certain strains of bacteria. Beneficial nematodes are shipped in a moist sponge sealed in a white pouch. The pouch contains a water dispersible granule that you simply mix with water and spray or water into the soil.

The product that impressed me, though, are represented at http://www.nematodary.com/symbion.htm

Please keep me posted on what you discover or decide! -Allan igg AT igg.com

  • [Market-farming] Flea Beetle Nematodes, Allan Balliett, 01/29/2006