market-farming - [Market-farming] Farmers Market Problem

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: sora AT coldreams.com
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Farmers Market Problem
  • Date: Sun, 29 Jan 2006 13:04:42 -0800 (PST)

> The existing market has had an awful time getting rid of one
> person who buys wholesale and undercuts all the local
> growers. They seem to have got rid of him now. We don't
> want that kind of situation developing again.

We've gone through this discussion before...Opening up a market to
resellers truely opens up the proverbial can o worms. We've had better
success by bringing in local crafters. The more vendors of any kind
attract more customers...the more customers attract more vendors...we
constantly recruit folk to come by with their extra produce. A few good
sales days...and they're hooked. Sponsoring "events" has also made a big
difference. Booking local musicians bring folk in to socialize, while
creating an event that can be advertised for free as an arts event.

  • [Market-farming] Farmers Market Problem, sora, 01/29/2006