market-farming - [Market-farming] Are Organic Hydroponic Greenhouses Environmentally Sustainable

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Marty Kraft <martyk AT allspecies.org>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Are Organic Hydroponic Greenhouses Environmentally Sustainable
  • Date: Tue, 13 Dec 2005 03:54:12 -0600

Our organization is considering investing in a hydroponic greenhouse for raising vegetables in an urban neighborhood setting. The purpose is to produce high quality food for residents. It is important that the energy inputs for construction, operation and removal at the end of its productive life decrease our neighborhoods ecological foot print. That is, we will not be taking more than we are giving back.

The backyard garden seems most sustainable. A hoop house or high tunnel might come next. Where would hydroponics fit in? Would productivity and low transportation costs make it worth while?

Maybe you have thought about this. I would appreciate your input.

Thanks

Marty Kraft
Heartland All Species Project
http://www.allspecies.org