market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] shade

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Lucy Goodman <goodows AT infinet.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] shade
  • Date: Mon, 28 Nov 2005 05:06:24 -0500

I shade peppers using row cover on 8' or 9' hoops or if the peppers get really big will put up a hoophouse frame and cover that with shade cloth or row cover.

have also thought about using wood snow fence up on supports (2x4's driven in the ground perhaps?) or wood lattice (which might be cheaper than snow fence)

Last season planted the peppers amongst a row of 10' tall trees (a lot of black walnut in the stand). Got zero sun scald but also go very very leggy plants that tended to fall over if they did not have really good support. They also came on 3 weeks late and the yields were down. I would not recommend planting peppers in a stand of trees, especially black walnuts.

Lucy Goodman