market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Help...Whiteflies!!

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: tonitime AT juno.com
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Cc: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Help...Whiteflies!!
  • Date: Fri, 4 Nov 2005 12:34:57 -0500

Hi Kelly,
I am afraid i don't have a quick fix for the white flies now, but
used to do a bit of preventitive work on it in our previous lives in arid
Central Ca. Early in the season, i made specific sticky traps to attract
them. I would make them assembly line style and it didn't take too long
to do many of them.These were made from used 4" plastic planting pots
stapled onto thin stakes and then spray painted schoolbus yellow. After
a quick drying i'd then spray or spread them with Tanglefoot. I posted
them every so many plants in the beds. They really seemed to keep the
numbers down. I dreaded the white flys in the squashes and cucurbits as
that meant the powdery mildew would soon follow.
Good Luck and enjoy some of that nice arid heat for me,
too...........sometimes i miss that living in Kentucky (and the 90 days
less growing season)!
Toni
Red River Gorge, KY

Use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without!
~Unknown~