market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] keeping sweet potato greens fresh

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Allan Balliett <igg AT igg.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] keeping sweet potato greens fresh
  • Date: Fri, 21 Oct 2005 09:21:32 -0400

So, there are 'always' tender tips as long as the vines are growing, I take it. -Allan

Hi, Folks!

Allan wrote:

<< My 'customer' said that my potato greens are too old.
SInce they didn't speak English very well, I never could find out if
she really only wanted tips >>

They want the tender tips only. I remember this from a USDA briefing on
ethnic crops at some conference I was at (PASA? Food & Farming?) that when
folks first came to the US, they took the whole sweet potato vine because
that was all there was. Now that there is more choice, they want what they
would pluck themselves, which is just the tender tips.

Dorene Pasekoff, Coordinator

A mission of