market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] posts

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "mtlivestock" <crublee AT libby.org>
  • To: <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] posts
  • Date: Sun, 16 Oct 2005 10:20:54 -0600

Allan,

We use t-posts with old railroad ties as corner posts for strength. The
fencing is field fence with a few strands of barb. We also have one string
of electric low along the field fence. I wouldn't want to push 20 market
hogs against that fence, but it works for our needs. We have had many market
hogs in there without a problem.

We know the guy that cuts the railroad ties. We can buy them before they
are oiled or whatever preservative is used on them. Have you tried any
local guys with their own sawmill? Maybe that isn't common where you are,
but we have many folks around here that will cut logs to fit our needs.