market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] garlic spacing

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Sean Albiston <lab AT physics.umn.edu>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] garlic spacing
  • Date: Tue, 27 Sep 2005 11:56:09 -0500

Scott, three rows per bed should work great. I do quite a bit of garlic and use approximately the same bed width. I plant 5 rows across on a 38" bed. Basically the rows are about 8" apart from each other with a slim 2" on the edge of each bed. I use about 8" for in row spacing for most varieties. I've given more space in the past, but found very little difference in end bulb size once the seed is acclimated to your area..
ATTRA has a publication on garlic production found at:
http://attra.ncat.org/attra-pub/garlic.html

sean albiston
blue roof organics
stillwater, mn

our farm is set up for 36 inch beds between the tractor tires. would a triple row of garlic work? that would put the rows about 9 inches apart.

--------------garlic 36 inch width.

Scott