market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] off-topic---chimneys and woodstoves

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: road's end farm <organic101 AT linkny.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] off-topic---chimneys and woodstoves
  • Date: Mon, 26 Sep 2005 19:38:17 -0400

On Sep 26, 2005, at 1:59 PM, mtlivestock wrote:

We have had this set-up for about 12+ years. (This was here
previous to moving here.) We have had an increasing and alarming amount of
creosote build-up in the stovepipe. We replaced the stovepipe with a new
one last year with little improvement. Got a nasty fire last year and don't
want a repeat. (roaring train type)

I also wonder if the draft is just not right. Sometimes you can smell soot
in the house when running in winter and not running in summer. MAYBE the
stovepipe is too short???

Get your chimney inspected, fast, by somebody who really knows how. It might just need cleaning; or it might be entirely unsafe as the lining may be damaged (or, in an old enough chimney, nonexistent). A chimney fire can damage the chimney. The next one might burn down the house.

Growth of trees, or anything else tall around the house that wasn't there twelve years ago, might have affected the draft, too. Or there might be a problem with the stove itself. Or are you burning greener wood than you used to? Or the house might be too tight, and you might need to pipe exterior air in to the stove. The only one of those problems that would be fixed by triple wall pipe all the way up would be the chimney liner, and I don't know whether you need triple wall for that or not (though you do if you want to entirely replace the current chimney). Talk to whoever locally enforces your local or state fire codes.