market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] unrolling round bales

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: road's end farm <organic101 AT linkny.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] unrolling round bales
  • Date: Wed, 7 Sep 2005 17:44:18 -0400

On Sep 7, 2005, at 4:21 PM, "" <herbthyme AT simcon.net> wrote:

have any of you tried unrolling bales for mulching between plastic beds or
elsewhere?

Scott

I don't know about you...but I can't unroll a bale of hay myself...and my rows aren't that wide. I should say that I have tried it...and it was not pretty! The bales that I get are just too wide to roll down any of my rows...although I loved the idea when I once thought of it. It would be nice to be able to do. I think you could it with a big long steel bar...I can't remember what it is called...but we use it to adjust the belts on the tractor. It is about 6 ft tall and takes all I have to move it around!

Courtney

I have seen it done, but it took several people.

I can't remember whether they were laying it down between existing rows or not, or if so what the spacing was. You could design your row spacing in advance for the width of available bales, though; if you've got the room.