market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Buckwheat re-growth?

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Janet Bachmann <janetb AT ncat.org>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Buckwheat re-growth?
  • Date: Fri, 08 Jul 2005 12:22:42 -0500

My experience is that buckwheat does not stand up to mowing and does not have enough biomass to be a good mulch like sorghum-Sudangrass. But it does grow very quickly from seed, is flowering within 30 days, and has mature seed at about 45 days. At that point, if you mow it or lightly disc it in, you will get another lush green cover crop, unless it is too late in the season and it gets killed by frost. An organic market gardener in Missouri told me 15 or so years ago that he got 3 buckwheat cover crops in a summer in this way. Janet Bachmann
NW Arkansas also (zone 6 or 7)

Steve Diver wrote:

I've got a buckwheat cover crop that is lush green
and starting to flower.
Can you cut buckwheat a few inches above
the ground -- letting the tops fall over as a mulch,
to encourage re-growth from the stems -- the same
way you can manage sorghum-sudan grass?

Steve Diver
Northwest Arkansas