market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Vegetable Cleaning stations

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: robert schuler <sunnfarm AT bellatlantic.net>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Vegetable Cleaning stations
  • Date: Fri, 24 Jun 2005 13:18:14 -0400

For my roadside stand I clean most produce on a 16' hay wagon with a large
steel roof for shade. I use two water tanks one for dirty produce with added
chlorine and a second to rinse then I place produce in 5/8 or 11/4 bushel
orange plastic picking baskets for drying. You want to avoid "at all cost"
dropping vegetables like tomatoes peppers and eggplant into cold water.
For many vegetables I find it easier to hand brush with nylon mesh gloves
especially ripe heirloom tomatoes which need as little handling as possible.

I have a conventional packing line set up in my barn on a concrete floor that
I used when I sold at the Vineland Auction block, it allowed me to clean a
lot of produce at one time. This set up has a washer, brusher, sponge water
absorber and rotary inspection/ packing table. You will need quite a few
acres to justify this type of machine but its another option you can try...
Bob.
Sunny Meadow Farm
Bridgeton, NJ.