market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Questions for list

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "marcy" <marcy AT aculink.net>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Questions for list
  • Date: Wed, 22 Jun 2005 12:20:52 -0600

We're in the second year of a new market with mostly organic/alternative farmers.  We have new people coming every week, but our repeat customers seem lower than it should be.  Any suggestions or ideas you all have tried that did (or didn't work)?  I think it's a new habit that takes a while to form. We did fairly well last year for the first year but it's been real slow this year (open last 3 weeks).

We're also wondering if demographics are shifting and later market hours might work better. We're open 8-1 on Saturdays near a new park in a downtown area with high visibility.   What hours are most of your markets open?

We've gotten the excuse that people can't buy stuff (especially meat) because they're not going home yet - they've got other stops to make. Does anyone have small styrofoam coolers or those foil cold-food paks that they provide or sell?   Sources?

Do any markets or vendors use frequent buyer type cards or other incentives like punch cards to encourage them to come back again?

How about refrigerator magnets?  I think they just need a reminder right there in the kitchen so it's right in front of their face and they don't forget to come back the next week.

We have had some real good coverage on radio and papers.

Our directors are meeting tomorrow and I wanted to give them some input before the meeting.

Thanks!
Marcy
SE Colorado -Zone 5ish