market-farming - RE: [Market-farming] Farm Equipment

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Jack Lane" <jacklane AT mstar2.net>
  • To: "'Market Farming'" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [Market-farming] Farm Equipment
  • Date: Fri, 17 Jun 2005 18:52:08 -0400

Title: Message
    Here in Kentucky forage doesn't grow in the winter. we have to start feeding in November and that continues until April. Believe me  I wish they could graze year round.
    But, you do need to be careful when you start getting your heart set on lots of Heavy iron that sits in the barn lot for most of the year. Most people don't realize that for operations that handle less than 100 head you might be better off investing in storage facilities and buying your winter feed. The dynamics definitely change if you have a lot of land and have an outlet to sell your forage. Or if you are interested in producing certified organic beef.

To see if it makes sense to buy your own harvesting equipment you need to put pen to paper and do the math.

Jack Lane
Kelley Farms
Lexington, KY