market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] toothpicks?

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Pat Meadows <pat AT meadows.pair.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] toothpicks?
  • Date: Thu, 02 Jun 2005 06:41:36 -0400

On Wed, 1 Jun 2005 16:26:31 -0700 (PDT), you wrote:

>> > You don't have to collar them.
>>
>> If they are transplants, just stick a toothpick or a small
>> stick next to the little plants when you transplant them.
>> It really doesn't take more than a second each.
>>
>I guess I don't get it...what does a toothpick do?
>As to big plants not being affected....I've seen them take down a 2' tall
>tomato plant.........

As I understand it, the cut worm encircles the stem and cuts
it off. The toothpick or stick (theoretically anyway) is
too tough for the cutworm to cut. I've always used them
(toothpicks) and I've *never* had any cut worm damage.

But maybe this is coincidental? I don't know.

I've also read in several places that toothpicks or small
sticks will work, so there is apparently some evidence that
it does work (evidence that is more than just my
experience).

I meant 'little plants' as a generic description of
seedlings to be transplanted, not to differentiate them from
larger plants, sorry.

Pat
--
ContainerSeeds.com - vegetable, herb, fruit, and edible
flower seeds for successful container growing.