market-farming - RE: [Market-farming] Asparagus and Weeds/ and GUINEAS

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Marie Kamphefner" <kampy AT grm.net>
  • To: "'Market Farming'" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [Market-farming] Asparagus and Weeds/ and GUINEAS
  • Date: Wed, 1 Jun 2005 16:16:02 -0500

Regards to the list:

Last year our guineas ate ALL and I do mean All the strawberries off a
2000 plant patch. They left the stems and caps and ate the green
berries. They have been locked up ever since. Earlier this year, we
noticed wild turkeys in the patch and where they had been we found the
same empty stems and caps. We fed the Great Pyrenees dogs closer to the
strawberry patch and they're kept the turkeys out. The guineas had
never done that before and I am wondering if they did it because they
were older then. Always before, we had young guineas and hadn't kept
them past one year old.

The dogs have tons of fleas and ticks now. That didn't happen before the
guineas were locked up. I think the guineas are ugly, mean, loud, evil
little birds and eating ticks and fleas doesn't make up for the harm
they do.

Marie in Missouri