market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Grasshoppers!

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Steve Bridges" <steve AT texasgrown.com>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Grasshoppers!
  • Date: Tue, 31 May 2005 23:50:01 -0500

Here at my retail nursery in Central Texas we sell lots of Nolo Bait. Every once in a while, we'll have someone that will say that it did not work for them, but the majority of people are thrilled with what it does to remedy their grasshopper problems, from the landscape to the vegetable garden. Before we started using it in the nursery, we could not keep a leaf on the holly shrubs that were out for sale.

It's very economical when you consider it keeps on working through the season. Grasshoppers are cannibals, eating the dead grasshoppers, becoming infected themselves, etc. It can even carry over in the egg cases from season to season.

I apply it with a table spoon, throwing it downwind at one pound per acre. Been using for four years now and nary a problem anymore with grasshoppers! And it won't hurt anything else that might get into like the other bran/Sevin bait might.....I'd hate for my dog to find that pile of poison!
Steve Bridges
Kimas Tejas Nursery