market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] tomatoes

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Peter Mattli, D.D.S." <pmattli AT cfl.rr.com>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] tomatoes
  • Date: Thu, 7 Apr 2005 02:42:31 -0400

Tom,
This is the drill pretty much as I remember it.
1. Find out when the last frost occurs in your region. Using this date, order the tomato seeds so as to
be in your hands at least two months in advance of this date. Keep them in the refrigerator until time
to germinate (sprout).
2. Two months prior to traditional date of last frost, place the seeds between two (or more) sheets of
damp paper towells maintaining a temperature of 75 - 90 degrees (that might suggest using an electric
pad obtainable from most drug stores). Position a flourescent light source directly over the germinating seeds,
as both a temp of 75-90 degrees and an overhead  proximal light source within 2-4 inches of the seeds
are essential to germination.
3. Keeping the paper towelling damp, inspect the seeds every day or two for signs of germination which
takes the form of a small sprout almost the same color as the paper towelling (which is why I prefer
dark colored highly absorbant blotter paper). I have found the highly absorbant blotter paper only at
Staples Office Supply, items number AOP SBL-42S 000204396 (dark brown) and AOP SBL-43S
000204404 (dark green).  Viable seeds will begin to sprout in 5-7 days, at which time they can be individually
transferred to the "flats" or similar and covered by no more than ΒΌ inch of potting media (light continues to
be essential at this stage).
4. Even with the light source maintained at less than 4 inches above the developing seeds, a certain amount
of "legginess" occurs as the young plant reaches toward the light. As soon as a second tier of leaves is seen,
the tomato may be transplanted, either into the ground or into small pots. At transplantation, the stem should be
covered by dirt or potting soil up to the first two leaves (tyhe coteledons) in order to induce growth of additional
roots from the now-covered stalk, and to obtain a more robust stalk above ground.
5. By now you should be approaching your mid-May transplanting date, and any plants not yet transplanted
into earth can be moved from pots to the garden site selected. Any plants with more than three tiers of branches
should be be covered with soil up to 80% of the plant proper. This, again, to induce further roots growth and
a robust stalk.   -  Pete

Pete Mattli
3805 Scarborough Court
Clermont, FL 34711