market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] SEED DEED!

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Lucy Goodman <goodows AT infinet.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] SEED DEED!
  • Date: Tue, 05 Apr 2005 11:22:29 -0400

I start all my leeks inside. I fill a flat with soiless mix make furrows where I want the seeds and than fill the furrows with seeds but not too heavily, cover the seeds with a bit of soiless mix, water using a light mix of either kelp or fish emulsion and cover with a piece of black plastic. keep the flats moist but not too wet and do not let them dry out. put them in a warm place and wait 7 to 13 days and you should have leeks. i keep them inside for about a week after germination than out to the cold frames for a week or two than they get transplanted.

lucy goodman
new Paris, OH

Does anyone out there have experience growing leeks from seed? Found out Federal Seed Germination Standards for onion is 70%, while leek is only 60%. That's lousy! Any tips/tricks anyone has used out there? Scarification, soaking, stratification, anything -- I would appreciate details.

Bill Smith