market-farming - RE: [Market-farming] Missouri Organic Program cut

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Marie Kamphefner" <kampy AT grm.net>
  • To: "'Market Farming'" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [Market-farming] Missouri Organic Program cut
  • Date: Mon, 4 Apr 2005 12:53:23 -0500

Michaele,

I don't know the answer to most of your questions. I've been trying to
find out how many farmers and acres are affected. Our governor is
slashing many programs in an effort to balance the budget. The organic
program would have been self-supporting, I understand, either this year
or next year. I also understand that the governor said he would support
the top 10% of the big money-makers in agriculture and ignore the
"bottom feeders." I suppose if it isn't reinstated, we'll just keep on
keepin' on.

Marie in Missouri

What is the size of the organic program in Missouri? How many farmers,
how much acreage? Why was it cut? Budgetary, is the program self
supporting or subsidized?

Michaele Blakely
Growing Things