market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] asparagus from seed

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Willie McKemie <mf AT austinfarm.org>
  • To: Errol Castens <castens AT peoplepc.com>, Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] asparagus from seed
  • Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2005 19:03:15 -0600

On Tue, Feb 22, 2005 at 04:45:30PM -0600, Errol Castens wrote:
> Can anybody give me details ??soil preparation, season/temperature,
> fertilization, depth/spacing, etc. ??for planting asparagus from seed? How
> long before I should expect a harvest?

When I established my asparagus 10-15 years ago, I treated it just like
tomatoes. I grew transplants in 2" peat pots. Seed was VERY slow
germinating. Weeks. I planted it about 2' apart in 5' rows. I
couldn't resist picking some that Fall. Been picking it ever since. I
think you're supposed to rogue out the females; I haven't. I put mine
on raised beds. Actually, I raised the beds as they grew. Were I to
do it again, I think I would keep them flat and try disking the whole
mess in late Winter or early Spring. Weed control, even without an
aversion to herbicide, is a terrible problem. I try to mow and burn
mine every Winter. Fertilizer encourages the weeds, I haven't used any
in years. Though I did in the early years.

--
Willie, ONWARD! Through the fog!
Linux system uptime 240 days 8 hours 03 minutes