market-farming - [Market-farming] Summer greens

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Adriana" <gutierrez-lagatta AT charter.net>
  • To: <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Summer greens
  • Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2005 16:27:58 -0600

Paul,

I'm curious why you grow 3 different types of wild arugula. Doesn't that overly complicate production, etc? Can your customers really tell the difference from one to another?

Here are my suggestions for summer greens from my page at
http://largocreekfarms.com/greens.htm

I grew mesclun mix all summer long in Florida under shade cloth in a greenhouse. I grew tatsoi, mizuna, Bull's Blood Beets, Bianca Riccia Endive, Oscarde lettuce and romaine. Yields declined due to heat and I only got 2-3 cuts before reseeding, but it was doable. I believe Lucy of OhioOrganics and Paul and Allison Weideger also grow greens all summer. Lucy are you still growing under floating row cover?

Somebody recommended Jericho lettuce as a great romaine to grow in the summer. It is now available from several sources including Johnny's.

  • [Market-farming] Summer greens, Adriana, 02/22/2005