market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Oregon blackberry bushes

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Margaret L Wilson" <booldawgs AT cavenet.com>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Oregon blackberry bushes
  • Date: Sat, 29 Jan 2005 10:26:22 -0800

I went out and looked at the blackberry thickets when we had some sun and the
mud was firm enough. I don't think it is feasible to sell and ship them.
They would not be inspected and disease free either. They are wonderful
berries to pick if you can get to them and there has been enough rain. They
are good fresh out of hand, in pies or jams. They have small seeds, juicy
and sweet. There are 2 varieties. One has smaller leaves and is very
thorny. Those berries are drier and only sweet when they begin to shrivel.
They grow all up and down the west coast. They are very invasive and will
take over pastures and ditches in a short time if not controlled. I am going
to keep some of them and just cut 4 ft paths through the patches.
Thanks for asking.
Margaret