market-farming - [Market-farming] Blackberry Minimum Water Requirements

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "TxBeeFarmer" <TxBeeFarmer AT HotPop.com>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Blackberry Minimum Water Requirements
  • Date: Sat, 29 Jan 2005 09:42:09 -0600

The University of Arkansas had great info on planting, fertilizing, spacing,
etc...

Now I'm trying to figure out how much water each plant, not root cutting,
will need this year. This will also help me determine how much water
storage I'll need.

Here's how the blackberries will be planted. Surface drip tape with 0.5
gl/hr emitters on 20 inch spacing will be used. Each row will have
continuous 36" weed cloth with holes cut for the plants. The irrigation
tubing will run across the top. Plants will be at a 2' spacing in sandy
loam soil. With all this in mind, my guess is 2 gl. per emitter every 3
days will be enough between rains. Anyone have any thoughts on this? Too
much? Too little?

Thanks
(West Texas) Mark