market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Blackberry Irrigation

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Willie McKemie <mf AT austinfarm.org>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Blackberry Irrigation
  • Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2005 12:52:44 -0600

On Mon, Jan 24, 2005 at 06:43:42AM -0600, TxBeeFarmer wrote:
> Would like to put some drip irrigation in when planting a few rows of
> blackberries. How deep should it go? Any suggestions on what kind of
> irrigation tape to get? Any sources out here in west Texas, Big
> Spring/Midland area?

For a supplier, I recommend Robbins in Ruston, Louisiana. Again:
http://austinfarm.org/homegrown/hortsuppliers.html
There is a place in Austin I used to use, but I have lost their name
and was not able to google them up. I think Robbins is more cost
effective.

T-Tape makes (used to make?) a bramble tape. It was about 20 mil
("heavy" drip tape is 15 or 16 mil) and had 6' spacing. I've used that
and regular 16mm tubing with inserted emitters (as you would use on
fruit trees). I haven't found anything real satisfactory. It all
requires repair, which is a real chore in rows of blackberries. I
haven't tried burying it; in my view, that would only increase the
repair costs. In my area, with 30"+ of annual rain, I think I would
lay down cheap drip tube to get the berries established the first year
and then abandon it and not apply water in subsequent years. I have
some sparse areas in my blackberry patches that I attribute to lack of
sufficient water the first year.

On fertilizer:
You have a hard time finding out what nitrogen source is in your
"balanced" fertilizer. It is likely to be either ammonium sulfate
(21-0-0) or ammonium nitrate (33-0-0), especially in the lower
(10-10-10) blends. That is good reason to minimize your use of it.
I use it only pre-plant or as the first of the season application on
perennials. Here is my take on nitrogen fertilizers:
21-0-0 ammonium sulfate - acidifies - good for alkaline soils - to be
avoided on acidic soils
33-0-0 ammonium nitrate - leaves salt residue - not to be used
extensively, especially in areas of low rainfall
46-0-0 urea - benign - this is my preferred nitrogen source.

--
Willie, ONWARD! Through the fog!
Linux system uptime 211 days 1 hours 31 minutes