market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Re: compost nitrogen

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: cheselka AT theriver.com
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Re: compost nitrogen
  • Date: Mon, 3 Jan 2005 08:09:14 -0700 (MST)

Paul -- thanks so much for your analysis. Numbers, if used correctly,
don't lie. It looks like I'm most definitely putting on WAY to much.
"Polluter" was never a word I'd use for myself, but it looks as though I
really might be doing some harm.

I'm still going to do my experiment with different application rates, but
I think on my main production areas I'll go with a much lower application
-- say about 5-10 tons/acre (which at a 1% N rate will put on 100-200 lbs
of N per acre). I'll do the same with my tire stacks, which I *was* gonna
do 1/2 dirt and 1/2 composted manure. Now I think I'll do something more
like 90% dirt and 10% composted manure.

I should have clarified earlier, BTW, that I'm working with composted
horse manure for the most part (90%), mixed in with some bedding and
garden/kitchen waste.

See? I told y'all I needed some straightening out! LOL!

Matt Cheselka
Cosmic Lettuce