market-farming - [Market-farming] Garlic & Shallots...

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "" <herbthyme AT simcon.net>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Garlic & Shallots...
  • Date: Tue, 2 Nov 2004 15:54:06 -0500

Ron Engeland in "Growing Great Garlic" states that it is not necessary to add
extra phosphorus as an amendment, even when soil is deficient. He stresses
the need for nitrogen, but also rich organic matter for large bulbs.
I plan to take his advice on garlic, but what do I do about shallots? Do
they like lots of phosphorus?

Thanks,
Margaret

Margret, I live here in Northeast Ohio, Zone 5. And I just got my garlic and
shallots in a week or so ago. Middle of October is when, and I too have read
Ron's book. However, I buy my seeds from Bobba-Mike's here in Orville Ohio,
and he recommends that I mulch the shallots heavily for this area. I have
never grown shallots before so I guess we will see next spring. I have read
both things so I wonder... As far as harvesting them, I think they are like
garlic, 40% brown on the tips. I also added chicken poo to the rows as I did
for the garlic. Hope that was ok too!

Courtney
Herb Thyme
Middlefield, Oh

  • [Market-farming] Garlic & Shallots..., , 11/02/2004