market-farming - [Market-farming] fertilizer for bulbs

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: MaggsMD AT aol.com
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Market-farming] fertilizer for bulbs
  • Date: Mon, 1 Nov 2004 08:31:56 EST

I just planted some asiatic lilies and oriental lilies.  I was out of bonemeal and used a 2-4-2 organic fertilizer from Fertrell.  I dug the holes to the recommended depth and incorporated about a tablespoon of fertilizer in each hole.  I was wondering if this is an appropriate fertilizer for lilies and other spring flowering bulbs?

 Our soil is low in phosphorus.  The directions from the bulb company said not to use bone meal because it is not a balanced fertilizer and attracts animals.  I tend to think that the company says that because they want you to buy the synthetic fertilizer that they have for sale.

Thanks,
Margaret
Knoxville, MD

  • [Market-farming] fertilizer for bulbs, MaggsMD, 11/01/2004