market-farming - [Market-farming] Re: Tomatoes after tomatoes?

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: tonitime AT juno.com
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Re: Tomatoes after tomatoes?
  • Date: Mon, 11 Oct 2004 13:34:31 -0400

I know a farmer who grows MANY,MANY varieties for tomatoes in the same
spots year after year - for perhaps 30 years now, with no negative
effects. I also know of some people who are now claiming that crop
rotation isn't a big thing after all these years of saying so. I would
think this depends on whether you steward the soil or grow
conventionally. Those of us who feed our soil a great diet can get
away with not moving everything each year.

I have planted a mix of rye and vetch where my tomatoes are the last four
seasons. Sometimes it gets turned under and at times I simply cut it
down and then smother it with thick paper mulch covered with 3-6" of
spoiled hay, straw, or mowed grass. No weeds, no problems. My maters
are on raised, berm-type beds without siding.
Toni in KY

Now includes pop-up blocker!

  • [Market-farming] Re: Tomatoes after tomatoes?, tonitime, 10/11/2004