market-farming - [Market-farming] Winterizing Day-Neutral Strawberries

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Allan Balliett <igg AT igg.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Winterizing Day-Neutral Strawberries
  • Date: Wed, 6 Oct 2004 12:11:58 -0400

Dear Friends -

It's embarassing how hard it is for me to get my mind around how to care for berries.

Right now I'm looking at day-neutral strawberries. I'm looking at Nourse's information on how to care for them. I've got that they should be mulched - AFTER the 6th hard freeze. What I don't see is any information about mowing them down, or anything like that.

We are still harvesting wonderfully sweet berries from these seascapes, so, it's easy to want to wait for the first real hard frost before giving up on them.

But, am I missing something here? Should I have mowed down the tops or something a little earlier?

Thanks -Allan

  • [Market-farming] Winterizing Day-Neutral Strawberries, Allan Balliett, 10/06/2004