market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] microwave (was delicata)

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "John Wages" <jwages AT earthlink.net>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] microwave (was delicata)
  • Date: Fri, 27 Aug 2004 13:39:28 -0500

For the record: microwave radiation is "radiation" like visible light,
ultraviolet light, x-rays, or gamma rays. Even though it's not as
high-energy as "ionizing radiation" like alpha, beta, or gamma radiation,
it can cause chemical reactions, just as UV light or x-rays can be damaging
to the skin and to other tissues. Among other effects, microwave radiation
creates free radicals and active oxygen species that can initiate a cascade
of chemical reactions affecting molecules (such as vitamins and amino
acids) in the food material. Recently, I read a report that claims
microwaves promote the movement of trace components (like plasticizers and
preserving agents) in plastic wraps into foodstuffs. To my knowledge,
neither effect has been thoroughly investigated, and there is no
significant debate on the public health consequences.

Such are the unintended consequences of fast-and-easy microwave cooking.

Personally, I have a microwave. I never cook in it. We use it for
re-heating, never with plastic in contact with food.

John Wages
Calceterra Farm
Tupelo, MS