market-farming - [Market-farming] Beans Thinning

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "maureen bostock" <maureenbostock AT hotmail.com>
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Beans Thinning
  • Date: Tue, 27 Jul 2004 18:12:43 -0700

I plant beans with an earthway seeder and I blank out half of the openings so that one bean seed is dropped every 6 inches or so. You can test your rate by running the seeder on the surface of the soil and see how often the seeds come out.
By blocking the openings, I don't have to thin the plants.
It is important to have good spacing between the plants so that there is lots of air flow as beans seem to be prone to fungal problems otherwise.
Maureen

  • [Market-farming] Beans Thinning, maureen bostock, 07/27/2004