market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] composting questions

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Tradingpost" <tradingpost AT gilanet.com>
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] composting questions
  • Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2004 21:55:05 -0600

Flies are a sign of a problem pile. Whatever is drawing them should be
covered with a thin layer of soil and the pile should not be kept too wet.
There should be no odor at any time, start or finish. The pile should have a
variety of compostable materials and have some soil interspersed with the
materials. Green vegetation needs to be in it to heat it up as it breaks
down, and the heat is good for reducing pathogens. The best reference IMHO is
still Rodale's big book Compost.

paul AT largocreekfarms.com
http://medicinehill.net