market-farming - [Market-farming] chilling flowers off grid

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: sora AT coldreams.com
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Market-farming] chilling flowers off grid
  • Date: Sun, 4 Jul 2004 19:43:01 -0700 (PDT)

> We are off-the-grid, so we do not have a fridge to put the flowers
> in. We do cut 'before' sunrise and keep the flowers shaded before - -
> and during - - delivery. Tips in this regard will be appreciated,
> also.
>
> Thanks again -Allan
> I'm off-grid also and have had sucess with coolers. I have a propane
refirgerator with a small freezer which I keep mostly full of 1/2 gallon
plastic milk jugs for ice that I use in coolers for the market and CSAs.
Flowers I pick the evening before and place directly into buckets of warm
water, sugar and a few drops of bleach. I let them sit for 1/2 hour, then
make up bouquets which each go into their container of solution. Then
into the coolers with the an ice jug wrapped in a towel. I swap jugs in
the morning and the flowers are chilled and ready for the ride into town.