market-farming - [Market-farming] Re: Care Sheet for Flower Shares?

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Roger Weeks <rjweeks70 AT comcast.net>
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Re: Care Sheet for Flower Shares?
  • Date: Sat, 03 Jul 2004 14:28:13 -0700

Hi Allan -

I'm assuming you do this already, but if you can prechill the flowers in a fridge before you send them out, that will greatly increase their vase life.

Things we tell our flower customers:

Re-cut the flowers when you get home.
Cut at least 1/2" or more from the stems.
Cut at a 45 degree angle. It allows more surface area of the stem to take in water.
Put a teaspoon of granulated sugar in some lukewarm water, and stir to combine. Add a few drops of white vinegar. Stir vigorously.
Let the water sit for 10 minutes before adding the flowers.
Change the water daily, remaking the sugar/vinegar solution each time.
The thicker the stems of the flowers, the more they benefit from the feeding with sugar.
If your house is warm, and the flowers look droopy, give them a spray with a fine water mister. It should help perk them back up.

I've seen other recommendations to add a drop or two of bleach to the water, but in our experience there are some flowers that just won't take any amount of extra chlorine in the water. Papery flowers like poppies and some other cut flowers just wilt and die with bleach water.

Roger Weeks
Weeks Gardens
Sebastopol, CA