market-farming - RE: [Market-farming] Conversion factors for weight of compost

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: russandrosie <russandrosie AT comcast.net>
  • To: 'Market Farming' <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [Market-farming] Conversion factors for weight of compost
  • Date: Thu, 1 Jul 2004 14:52:01 -0700

Hey Matt,
Just a thought on the "compost" you get from the county. My guess that the
high wood chip content is causing your seedlings to be slow. As you know,
wood chips tie up nitrogen and the seedlings don't have large enough root
systems to reach beneath the mulch.
I use a similar mulch on my beds for weed suppression, but I push the mulch
aside and plant into the soil.
Matt wrote:
The plants in the compost only are growing well, but as seedlings they took
much longer to "turn on" and start growing.