market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] GARLIC SCAPE

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "St. Joseph the Worker Farm" <jmmps AT rocketmail.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] GARLIC SCAPE
  • Date: Thu, 29 Apr 2004 14:19:41 -0700 (PDT)

Thank you Lucy for the feedback on this. My last
question, I promise, hehehehe
Do you use the stem part too or just the flower?
Thanks,
Jackie
---------------------------------
The scape is the flower stalkof hardneck
garlic. Softnecked garlics don't shoot up a flower
stalk.cut the scape off at the base of the scape,
not the plant. to find thebase grab the scape and
follow it down to where it comes out of theplant
and than either snap it off or cut it with a
knife. I cut minewhen there is one curl in the
scape and the flower has not developedmuch. if you
cut them later they tend to be quite tough.

Lucy Goodman
Boulder Belt Organics
http://www.boulderbelt.com