market-farming - [Market-farming] Globalization's Race To The Bottom

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "maureen bostock" <maureenbostock AT hotmail.com>
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Globalization's Race To The Bottom
  • Date: Wed, 31 Mar 2004 12:44:10 -0800

Hi everyone,
I agree with Pat Meadows' point of view. Globalization is a nasty new form of capitalism which is so destructive of local infrastructure that it will produce economic catastrophe unless change is brought about. What we have to remember is that we are not the only farmers here. In other words the peaches from California were grown by another farmer who is seeking to make a living on the land, as the tomatoes from Central and South America are grown by a farmer who is seeking to make a living on the land. Farmers from across the world are seeking access to North American markets - because there are consumers here.

Yes, we need to encourage local food production and local food consumption. But there are larger and deeper problems on the horizon and they are problems which must address how all farmers worldwide can make a fair living on the land.

MSN Premium: Up to 11 personalized e-mail addresses and 2 months FREE* http://join.msn.com/?pgmarket=en-ca&page=byoa/prem&xAPID=1994&DI=1034&SU=http://hotmail.com/enca&HL=Market_MSNIS_Taglines